« all posts

Cal FC 2, SF City 1: Cal FC converts 2 penalty kicks to knock SF City out of the US Open Cup

San Francisco City FC and Cal FC kicked off the 2015 edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Saturday, April 25th, 2015, in front of a record crowd of 1,519, at historic Kezar Stadium for a preliminary round game in the competition.

After a cagey first-half, the game came to life in the second-half after both teams combined for three goals. The first goal, scored after a questionable penalty was called in the 46th minute of the game, was notched home by Chris Cummings, giving Cal FC an early lead after the halftime break.


For SF City FC, the next 20 minutes were filled with plenty of chances. They had three shots on goal and attacked Cal FC’s backline in waves. In the 76th minute, SF City FC tied the game when George Plakorus’ cross deflected off a Cal FC defender and into the back of the net.


Tied at 1-1, the game was well poised for a late winner or extra time. In the 88th minute, a handball was called SF City FC on defender Gabe Padilla inside the area. Cal FC midfielder Johnny Bravo stepped up from the penalty spot to give Cal FC a 2-1 lead in the final minutes, which was the game winning goal.

“I think we came out in the first half a little tentative. I think it was hard to know what to expect, going up against a club with nine former professionals. A little bit intimidating,” SF City FC Head Coach, Andrew Gardner said. “We’ve just got to keep taking things seriously, keep training, come out hard to games. We’ve got to go at it like its Cal FC every game. We really got to push ourselves.”

Cal FC advances to play Ventura County Fusion of the Premier Development League on May 13th. SF City FC continues its Spring schedule on May 2nd, with a NorCal Premier League match against Stanislaus United and May 3rd friendly against Stanford.

More photos from the match at our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1041176342578973.1073741842.812817488748194&type=1